Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pork and Cupcakes anyone?

Yeeah... so this is the problem when I work late, get to the gym, then am staaarving coming home! You know how many good places I pass by the time I get back to my apartment? This is the East Village, we get ramen next to cupcakes next to a pork bar next to a dessert bar! I mean really, why live here if you can't have it all?

I was going to just go home and make myself a simple meal of...oh I don't know...when I got inspired to hit the new Milk Bar. I'd already hit it up a few weeks ago and had a piece of her candy bar pie and was inspired to try the peanut butter cake. But I get there and to my horror, I see people outside..outside???
They must be smoking.
No they're waiting..um, to go in.

Screw this, I'm hungry! Besides, I pass it on my way to work and coming back home, ha! So then I think - hm a cupcake might be nice. And wait, I pass the good ramen place! No not the one here, or the one next to it..but the good one! Then I remember they don't do takeout. damn! Deflated. And ramen sounded so good - especially after being on the treadmill watching the Muppet Christmas movie (very funny when the Swedish chef brought out the whitefish on the pizza to the guys from the Sopranos..) The girl next to me gave me funny looks for watching the Muppets. Whatevs. She looked bored ;-)

(cupcake timer courtesy of gizmodo)

Anyway, so my curiosity is killing me and I've been wanting to try this new cupcake place on 7th. So I get there (passing another dessert bar on the way of course) and I see Porchetta is across the street. Hello! Another little wonder on my list, I hear mad raves about their pork sandwich! So my feet kind of draw me in, really, I don't walk myself in. And it so happens to be across from my original destination. Geez I planned this perfectly. So I start eating the sandwich, after all, it could get cold going home! That would be tragic. So I eat it whilst standing outside Butter Lane, debating whether to go in. Really. I'm still eating my sandwich. But, but...do I dare?
I do.
Did they notice the pork grease on my face as I ordered the "American Buttercream Vanilla"?
I did walking out.
She definitely noticed me opening my wallet and paying with one hand as the other was too covered in pork to function! oops. moderately embarrassing...

Yeah, put some buttaonme! Delish. I walk out with my pork in one hand (which is divine, a hint of anise and pork cracklings to make it crunchy!) and my smooth move divine little butter cake. Which was good, but not great. Maybe it was because it was 9 pm...but the cake needed more salt and the frosting, I think more vanilla. Damn I'm picky.

But at least I exercised.

But that's why I love the East Village.

(As a recent addendum to this post, Eater.com just posted the recent surge in dessert activity in my hood: East Village Dessert Destinations)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home