Sunday, December 21, 2008

Candy Wars 2008

So I tend to make a bi-monthly (at least!) pilgrimage to Economy Candy to stock up on dried fruits, nuts - a general stocking of the cabinet if you will. I will get tempted by their home-made S'mores, chocolate covered Oreos, amazing selection of Ritter Sport, awesome real Turkish delight or an occasional Jelly Belly fix...however, once a year, during this magical time, I create some serious damage in this store. And I mean SERIOUS. It's so much fun! Wish I had an excuse to buy this much candy all the time. Alas, I will not be eating all of it, it was mostly for gifts (for real! ) But it got me thinking...wtih all of my recent candy consumption as of late, how do I feel about the old fashioned candy - the Walnettos, the Bottle Caps, the Mallo Cups...

Old

vs. New
vs Pig Candy! New at Essex Street Market (great butcher shop to boot!), this is simply bacon smothered with chocolate. YUM. Nothing super exotic or free range about the Jimmy Dean bacon (did you see their crazy Thanksgiving Day float?), but the novelty has given this small chocolate company a cult following. It's more expensive than cocaine, but how does it fare? After some rave reviews by friends, some 'eh' remarks from others, and omg from Serious Eats I have to say this is truly a unique piece of candy. But addictive? I'd have to say 'eh'. The bacon has a super sharp bite against the chocolate, almost an acidic flavor. You really need to eat the milk chocolate version over the dark...the sugar plays well against the bacon and the addition of milk calms it down. We'll see what super bacon fanatics have to say (my test audience is not complete yet!)

vs. the French!!
Believe it or not, I do still have (a smidgen!) of candy left from France! A true dedication to quality - this passion fruit chocolate bar from Pierre Herme gave me goosebumps! (and also my wallet's), while the caramels have such a lovely butter taste and velvety texture, it's hard to go wrong when something is done just right.

I need to start a poll, I don't think I can make this decision by myself. How does everyone else feel?

3 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

Yay for French chocolates.
Nay for Bacon chocolates

6:59 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for your thoughts. And how much fun is all this candy? But I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I guess; give me a Hershey's milk choc (with almonds-call me crazy :P ) and I'm happy!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I love it when you buy old-fashioned candy!!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home