Monday, January 12, 2009

Winter can be delicious

No I'm not talking about making those standard comfort foods, geez how predictable...roast chicken or mashed potatoes (my dinner last night) or mac and cheese (my dinner a few nights ago) or baked goods (banana bread I also made this week)...oh wait, I'm seeing a pattern here...

I'm talking about my friends to the north, who are getting completely pummeled with frozen temperatures and snow. Stop production! Take a snow day! Close the office!
These guys do none of that. Snow and sub zero temps mean delicious ice wine!! Not the standard ice wine you're used to...no this is apple iced wine, a specialty to the Quebec region. The apples freeze and you press and voila! Apple Ice Wine!


It'll give you a hangover like you've never had, even if you aren't drunk off it! A lot of residual sugar, but the acidity in the fruit cuts it and it goes down super smooth. Makes a great dessert wine if you're feeling boring, makes a fantastic pairing with meat (foie gras anyone?) if you're feeling rich.

YUM

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I had never heard of apple wine. Guess I should tell my folks before they chop down all their apple trees :)

9:04 PM  
Blogger docsconz said...

Quebec ice cider is indeed delectable. It wasn't all that long ago that they started doing it either (1989). I am happy to say that some producers in northern NY are now doing it as well. The first and arguably the best in NY is Slyboro
(see http://www.slyboro.com/ourciders.php).

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home